Until I find how to upload a file, here is the SFG text.
- Create a text document
- Copy and paste this in
- Save as Kevin vs Hyunwoo.sgf or some similar name.
Most Go clients will open and display the resulting file. You can viw the game at http://eidogo.com/#3SGL1jWL
GN[Deciding match of the 2013 NZ championships.]PW[Kevin Liu]PB[Hyunwoo Kim]GC[This is mostly Kevin's recollection and thoughts on the game. However he and Hyunwoo had reviewed it with the professionals Park Sohyun and Choi Dongeun, so it should be reasonably accurate.
Later I reviewed the game with Hyunwoo and added his comments. He concluded "I was disappointed with this game and myself. I didn't play like this before I did my year of military training."
Many thanks to Kevin and Hyunwoo for their thoughts and the help they gave with this commentary.]EV[2013 NZ championships.]ROPC[Napier]SO[Kevin's recollection, review by Kevin, Hyunwoo, Choi & Park]US[Colin Grierson]
- W[oq]C[I asked Kevin why he played here instead of taking the empty corner. He answered that it was to avoid prepared positions. In the final game of the Auckland Super tournament his opponent set up a corner position he had made a special study of. When Kevin approached the corner he both got tricked and used most of his time. "I've learned my lesson" he said to me. ]
- W[jd]C[Kevin also considered J17 - a simple 2 point jump - but prefered this. He's not worried about the invasion at H17, not yet anyway. It would be too early and counter productive for Black.]
- 1]C[After reviewing the game, Hyunwoo says playing at 1 (F15) would be better.]
- W[mq]C[Jumping like this avoids making Black strong. Crawling on the third line would live easily enough, but Black would get a strong wall - hurting the White position on the right.]
- B[kp]C[Nice move said Kevin.]
- B[om]TR[lo]C[Black does not take the marked stone. This would be too small and too slow.
This sequence, starting from L4, was agreed to be a fair exchange.]
(;B[hc]C[Hyunwoo is not just thinking about breaking up White's potential territory. He also wants to find a way to make his top right group completely solid in sente.
The professionals suggested F15 as a better alternative, however Kevin thinks this is also favourable for White.]
- W[fe]C[Hyunwoo felt this was a fair exchange.
Kevin felt it was better for White.
I was impressed by this move at F15. My inclination would be to go further out. We tried some alternatives and Kevin pointed out they gave White threats or forcing moves that helped strengthen his position on the left. "With this White does not even have a Ko threat" said Kevin. ]
(;B[cj]C[This is the move Hyunwoo most regrets in this game. Kevin and the Pro's agree it is bad.]
- W[de]C[This is one reason C10 is bad. It commits Black to the side territory - thus giving White forcing moves.]
- A][cq:B]C[This is the other problem. Black can't easily settle his stone.]
- B[bo]C[Ko is the best Black can do. But it's not good, most of Black's Ko threats cost him points.]
- W[df]C[White has threats that gain points.]
- W[bq]C[White does not have anymore good threats and has already gained from the last couple of exchanges. So he ceeds the Ko.
White's group on the side looks weak, but Black's group is not settled yet either. While Black makes himself safe White will get settled too.]
- C][im:A][gn:B]C["Nice move" said Kevin.
"Can't you cut" I asked.
"It does not work" replied Kevin.]
- B[fp]C[This sequence eliminates the cut White had.]
- 1][gr:2]C["Nice probe!" said Kevin. "This is professional level."
Whiet can answer at 1 or 2, both have their costs... ]
- W[gr]C[Kevin chose to play this side, avoiding problems with lack of liberties, and pay the yose penalty on the other. Strength over profit again.]
- 1]C[Now White is confident. However this move is a mistake. The intention is to secure the side - but it fails to do so. Playing at 1 would be better.]
- B[pi]C[This is a troublesome move.]
- W[oh]C[Kevin said he was 80% sure he was okay. "If I can connect under the game is safe"]
- B[me]C[In the end the invasion started at Q11 failed. Black has reduced white by about 5 points - but at the cost of sente. Not much of a gain if anything.]
- B[en]C[Kevin likes strong shapes. This one is pretty good.]
- 163][fd:176][ee:161][me:133][ef:157][ff:159][gf:162][nf:129][of:126][pf:124][bg:175][eg:104][fg:158][gg:160][lg:132][ng:127][og:125][pg:117][qg:119][rg:130][ah:174][bh:171][ch:173][dh:105][eh:154][fh:153][kh:110][mh:128][nh:120][oh:118][ph:114][qh:113][bi:168][ci:172][ei:155][fi:142][gi:156][ji:108][ki:109][mi:122][ni:121][oi:115][pi:111][qi:112][ri:116][aj:170][bj:169][fj:143][gj:144][jj:102][kj:107][mj:131][nj:123][jk:100][kk:101][rk:152][ll:103][pl:106][sl:148][em:140][hm:138][rm:146][sm:147][en:141][gn:137][hn:139][qn:150][rn:145][sn:149][eo:135][fo:134][go:136][ro:151][ap:179][rq:167][cr:180][dr:177][pr:165][qr:164][fs:178][ps:166]C[Black ran out of time a few moves later, but White is at least even on the board and the game was essentially over.])
(;B[me]C[If Black plays here...]
- W[mk]C[It looks like something will give. Kevin says he did not see this.]))
(;B[pf]C[This looks possible for Black... ]
- W[ni]C[and White captures the two stones ...]
- A][rh:B]C[... then Black makes a "TIger's mouth" ...]
(;W[rb]C[Kevin showed me this sequence - big trouble for White.]
- B[pe]C[And White is in trouble. He has to win the Ko to live.])
(;W[rh]C[I asked Hyunwoo about this idea. "I spent a lot of time on this" he said. "It doesn't work". This is why.]
- A][nf:B]C[If Black protects the cutting point, White lives.]
(;B[rb]C[If Black tries to capture...]
- W[qb]C[Reducing Black's corner at the same time.])))
(;B[rg]C[This does not work out so well for Black.]
- W[qb]C[White captures the two black stones, and because Black has to connect at T14, White can live in the corner.]))
- W[fg]C[This way Black would have sente to attack on the right. His only chance is to do something there.]))
- B[fl]C[This cut is too hard on White. Failure.])
- B[lm]C[Kevin prefers the shape in the game.]))
(;B[cq]C["Why not just jump into the corner?" I asked. ]
- W[bo]C["Because when you have stones on both sides, like I do here, you can play B5 and there is no good answer" said Kevin. ]
- B[br]C[Even if Black lives - and White can play much more strongly than here. White becomes strong and gets sente...]
- B][qr:A]C[Very hard for Black. With A and B up his sleave, the corner could even get into trouble.]))
- W[bm]C[This variation is better, however White lives with a bit of territory and because he has no weak groups should be able to keep the centre to a reasonable size.]))
- B[bo]C[Hyunwoo prefers this variation.]))
(;B[id]C[If Black plays here...]
- W[gf]C[Kevin would be happy with this. White is very strong and safe, so it will be hard for Black to make much terrritory.
"How might it continue?" I asked Hyunwoo...]
- W[kf]C["Like this" he replied.
"What about the cut?" I asked.
- W[ee]C[White is alive already - threatening to break into the side, and with even more central influence.]
- W[kn]C[If White gets a chance, He'll play this combination. Potentially the corner even comes under attack.]))
- B[fn]C[Kevin thinks White is slightly better. He's not afraid of the huge moyo on the left.
I would be afraid :-(]
- W[lm]C[This was agreed to be better for White than the actual game.]))